Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A little light laundry with a surprise

Yesterday I went up to the roof lights and made very sure they were correctly sealed. The lights I've put up there are actually trailer lights but the bulb is the same and so is the color. They're a slightly funky shape but they'll do. I doubt anybody will actually notice.

On my way home from work, I looked in a parts store and they just didn't have replacement brake lights. As it subsequently transpired, that might have saved me some unnecessary expense. Still being very tired every day, I'm not achieving as much as I'd like.

When I got to the bus, I started by removing the lens from one of my rear lights. The light assembly was coated with mud inside as was the inside of the lens. In fact, this was the case with all the lights. It's as though the back of the bus had been parked in a swamp!

That's where the spray bottle I used for putting window tint on, a few months ago, came in handy. Using a combination of spray and jet, I hosed out each unit and each lens. Within a few moments the lenses and sockets looked a load better. Half an hour later and it was all dry.

The surprise came in when I pulled out the bulbs. It seems that somebody had put single contact bulbs in, instead of duals. No wonder the lighting was unpredictable and strange. As bulbs are sold in pairs, it's probably worth getting two pairs. That's probably a trip to Walmart for tomorrow on the way home from work. I have a feeling the bulbs might not be as bright as they once used to be.

I've never ever seen a number plate bulb on the bus. Looking at one of the brake lights, I saw the bottom had a transparent panel that illuminated the number plate. I like that. It's a neat solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment