Saturday, March 21, 2015

What a day!

On Friday, the tool I needed in order to use my rivnuts arrived. Of course, when I went to use it, the 20mm bolts I'd bought not only had a hexagon socket that didn't fit any of my tools but the bolts weren't long enough either!

After a quick trip to Lowes to buy Lowes entire stock of M5 bolts - all 6 of them - I paused to get some yoga mats. Needless to say I am not taking up yoga. I have a far more sane and sensible use for closed cell foam.

As I had predicted, all the vinyl tiles had fallen off the windows. The yoga mats are an alternative solution. It works out that one yoga mat has enough foam to cover 6 window panes. After some experimentation with the spray glue I'd bought, it transpired that spraying the windows then the cut foam and waiting a few minutes before pressing the foam to the window produced the best results.

My rivnut adaptor proved to be just the ticket. It fitted my Harbor Freight tool and with the aid of a drill to make the holes and a file to enlarge them, I managed to insert quite a few M5 rivnuts.

The key to getting the rivnuts to match the holes in the OSB was simple. I attached everything with self drilling screws then replaced the screws with rivnuts later. Of course, it would have been nice if Lowes didn't charge the earth for M5 30mm bolts and it would have been nice if Lowes carried more than 6 bolts. Needless to say, for the price Lowes would charge for 20 bolts, I've ordered 100 from Hong Kong. In the meantime I shall be using self drilling screws.

It doesn't look like I've done a lot but one side of the bedroom is now done. This is the closet side. The other side has usable windows and was so complicated to cut that I made several cuts in the wrong places and had to rethink my design in order to use the wood rather than waste any. This, I shall be working on tomorrow as the light escaped on me before I'd completed attaching the first piece of OSB to the bed side of the bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment