Thursday, January 1, 2015

That sinking feeling

Today was a day of much greater accomplishment than expected. I started early to saw wood using the new saw I bought the other day and low-and-behold, the legs of the kitchenette are now all the right length. They're all 31 inches. Previously I'd struggled with the legs using my older saw. Handholding the wood had not helped either. This time the wood was anchored down on the back shelf by chunks of angle iron.

Having done that I proceeded to cut a hole in the countertop for the sink. The first cut was too small but that's always good. Better to cut off too little than too much. Eventually, the sink sank into the correct space and the wooden framework that I'd assembled a few days ago was screwed to the countertop.

As I now needed smaller brackets to attach the legs to the countertop than I had, a trip to the store was necessary. Thus since the water at my girlfriend's house has stopped working, it was time not only to go shopping but to head home for a shower. On this shopping trip, not only were brackets purchased but also a plastic toilet bucket and cat litter. The plan is to have a semi-composting toilet like many DIY motorhomes have. I'm probably not going to put a wood stove in but never say never.

Cutting the hole for the sink was a load easier than I'd imagined. Rather than going all complicated and drilling a hole and using a jig saw, I used an ordinary saw and simply scratched lines with it until I was through. I have very much a feeling that if tomorrow goes like today then the kitchenette may well be completed tomorrow and the toilet may be completed the day after. That should give me something to photograph for the insurance company. I was mightily impressed by my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment