Monday, July 5, 2021

Win some, lose some

Overnight I had a nasty thought that the vent I have just installed might actually be worse than the original vent. It looks really good with strong louvers etc but then I thought of the wide gaps and the way the louvers appeared designed to send the water backward. I suppose they could be intended to channel water to the edges but one dent and it'll all go down into the cabin. 
I'm looking at this vent and literally wishing I'd tested it before going to the effort of installing it as I currently feel this might not be a great addition to the bus. 
It all feels like I'm following the same path with everything. I buy something then find that it's not quite what I want so I buy something else and that's not right either. Eventually I end up with something that'll do the job well. 

Other people have the same problem with roof vents. I see exactly why some people rivet steel over the vents. The only problem is the vent is there to keep the insulation dry. 

So, what to do? Well, I could put an untested new solar fan vent in place. That would work - perhaps. Another thing that might work is some kind of shroud over the vent. I could, of course, be totally wrong. Though I have the vent covered in tape right now because we're heading toward stormy weather, I'm tempted to go up there with a watering can and see what happens. I just have to pick a hot, dry day when leakage inside will dry fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment