Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Paused by the rain!

Today's plan was to install the new battery. I would have liked to have completed the two lights that need attention but the tap I ordered is still winging its way across the USA toward me. The internet allows me to buy components from all over the country and all over the world for my bus. This part comes from Minnesota, apparently.

So, the first thing done was to weld three nuts onto each corner of my flame shield - itself welded from various pieces of 1/16th steel. The problem is that the battery hanger has a cross member at the top and the flame shield has to go underneath it. I'd gone through a lot of weird and wonderful designs but then realised a flat plate is the simplest and it could be stood off by nuts. While I could have just put the nuts on bolts and done it that way, it sounds simpler than it was. Getting the holes in the underbody lined up with the holes in the plate would have been more challenging.

What I did was to drill a hole, put a bolt through it, tighten the nuts on the bolt the other side of the hole then arc weld the nuts together and to the panel. Then I removed the bolts and drilled out the thread in the nuts. For those with curiosity, the bolts are 5/16ths.

Having done that and painted the steel red, down came the rain. It had looked a bit worrisome earlier so everything had been packed away a few minutes before the steel was painted.

A while later, the rain had ceased so, not feeling like rolling under the bus immediately - the tarp I'd been using was pretty wet still - I decided to put hinges on two more solar panels. Again, these are 10W panels but they are bigger 10W panels than those I hinged a few days ago.

The advantages of hinged panels are numerous. Easy portability and the ease of putting them on a flat surface to form a tent are just two. I'll have to modify the electrics at a later date.
The tarp dried fairly swiftly so after having completed work on the two panels I rolled back underneath the bus. Have I mentioned yet how much I hate lying on the ground underneath a bus? There is a cable there that needs some cable wrap. I didn't have it to hand. What I'm trying to do at the moment is to complete all my outstanding jobs.
The flame shield went into place but what a performance it was. I had to hold it in place with one hand while sort of sitting up and wiggle a bolt to mark the underside of the rib above. I'd tried using a G clamp to hold the steel in place and it didn't work. Two might have but I didn't get it to stay long enough with one to get a second into place. Bear in mind I was lying underneath and didn't want a 5lb lump of gravity-assisted steel smacking me in the face. I'm ugly enough without that!

So, having bolted the one corner into place I did the next corner and then the other end. That worked just fine.
Originally I had used a red battery connector pair. I did buy some more for this job but cannot locate the pair I'd bought. Annoyingly I remember seeing them a few weeks ago. I looked where I thought they were but they were nowhere to be seen. Tomorrow I'll put my hand right on them!

In lieu of the correct connectors, with the aid of a voltmeter so I could check for polarity, I hardwired the battery into place. I didn't bother wrapping those wires because one was tucked out of the way and I'm planning on putting a new connector in. As one of my friends says though "there's nothing as permanent as a temporary solution".

Having connected the second battery, out of curiosity I set my extraction fans going. What a difference. The battery voltage did drop but I had two lights on, it was already dark and the drop was very slow. The second battery project can thus be considered a success. The solar panel side-project is also a success.

Today I cut out two of my projects. Now I have the lights to complete (when it gets here - probably on Friday). I have to complete the brake lines. I bought some brake line the other day but I need more. I have the wiper pivot to work on. The roof vent needs verification that it works or resolution if it does not. If it does not, my next solution will be to put a solar-powered or rotary vent. There're also some electrical things to do and, of course tires and derusting the brake pistons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment