Thursday, July 29, 2021

Hoorah! The window panels are fully rivetted.

It was 96F in the shade. Working in the sun for more than ten minutes in a session was unbearable. Thus it became a case of removing 4 self-drilling screws, drilling the hole out, squirting some seam sealant into and around the hole then popping a rivet in, riveting and then rushing inside after each batch of four.
Yesterday I'd found 14 available rivets so today it was time to have a good hunt on the cockpit floor as I recall tipping a container of rivets on the floor. Well, sharp eyes and hunting through the things piled up on the floor yielded more rivets. I needed 24 and by the end of hunting I had 25. 
Hunting inside the bus there were two packets of rivets and some rivnuts I had totally forgotten about. The big bonus of the day had been finding the short rivets. There were a lot of longer rivets that could have been used in a pinch but I didn't and that was another bonus.
With rivets instead of self-drilling screws the panels are much more secure and cannot be removed by idle no-goods. They also can't accidentally come unscrewed in transit.
There had been a problem with paint from a spray can attacking the finish. Today I pulled out my can of white Rustoleum and sprayed one rivet. That went well with no reticulation so I continued on until the spray can was empty.
Next I pulled out a can of Krylon white paint (also claims to have a primer) and sprayed one rivet. The paint on the rivet is just fine. The paint around the rivet is reticulating. It seems the culprit is the Krylon paint. Clearly it seems to be self-etching. I shall just have to get more Rustoleum and skip the cheaper Krylon. It's probably not worth trying to fix the damaged paint. I'll just wait for time to peel whatever is going to come off, off and respray then and only then.

The next task, I'm not sure about. I really should be thinking about brake lines. At least as far as the differential.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment