Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Not another problem?

 
Today was a day of heavy showers so I didn't do an awful lot. I did test the lights on the bus with the main bus battery and the new lights sure look brighter than the old lights. The new turn signals are way better though I didn't really get to see how much better the brake lights are.  The new marker lights look phenomenal compared to the old marker lights.

There was, however an issue. The surplus right turn signal was not lighting. Thus I took the lens off and tried removing the bulb. Not a change - it was stuck fast and took quite some work to get it loose. It had rusted into place.
Well, with gentle coaxing it did come out eventually. That was welcome! That, however, revealed another problem - the bulb holder had disintegrated. That left me having to take the back of the unit off. I'm fortunate in having spare units. In replacing this, I might just use rivnuts and screw it on via rivnuts. 

Of course, the bottom screw won't budge despite gentle tapping with a hammer, spraying with PB Blaster and levering on a screwdriver. I have no doubt this will now involve removing the paneling in the cockpit and whacking the screw from the inside before removing it from the outside. Then, as I said, I will probably be best advised to put rivnuts and screw the replacement on, that way. 

This is all a massive pain in the neck. Again, the bus throws something unexpected at me! I am fortunate in having spare turn signal backs in my store.




No comments:

Post a Comment