Saturday, June 12, 2021

Another leak...

Today I went to work more on the marker lights. The marker light started yesterday was completed using a pair of rivnuts. That worked well. It was all sealed with more of the magic seam sealant.

Following that it was time to look at the second and third marker lights. The second one which was in the middle looked OK but taking the lens off revealed a grounding screw that was so rusty that its head had dropped off. That left a stump to remove which came out after a few whacks with the pliers and some wiggling. After that it was just a case of enlarging the holes and inserting rivnuts then I had to put it all back together using my magic seam sealant.

Not long after doing the second marker light, it began to pour down with rain. That was an excellent opportunity to check for leaks! Though I could see no water, the inside of the back felt wet. I'm not sure why that should be. The only reason I can think of is that either one of my new light additions was leaking (which I doubt) or the seam that has not yet been redone is leaking. I'll go with that for the moment. It was always my intention to redo the seam anyway. 
I started the day by making a tool to put in 8-32 rivnuts then found I lacked a drill bit suitable for the size of rivnuts I wanted to use. However I did have a drill bit close enough to use for some 8-24 rivnuts that I had even though it meant pinching 8-24 rivnuts from something else.

The third marker light will be yet another problem - the heads of the screws are thoroughly rusted. A crosspoint screwdriver would not turn the screw. It could have a square drive but as it's not a priority for today, I left it alone. What with working in 95F in full sun at the top of a ladder, I'm limited in the amount of time I can spend working on things in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment