Sunday, June 6, 2021

Crunch!

 

It is no surprise that I didn't do much this weekend. It just seemed that everything was going wrong - no matter what I touched or looked at, it didn't work, went crooked, wasted materials etc.
Take this miserable little kitchen step stool. I went up it to do a little spray painting with a can of spray paint and there was a crunch as I stepped on it. Fortunately I heard it as most of my weight was on my other foot so I was barely phased by it all. My opinion of these plastic things is pretty poor. There's a stepladder here that I borrow and the top is plastic so I'm expecting that to disintegrate on me one day too - especially since it seems to be left outside all the time.

Anyway, I did get to finish the paintwork on the bus so that's now done. That's today's little victory!

Yesterday I went along both sides of the bus putting vertical conspicuous tape from the bottom of the skirt to the bottom of the windows. That went on fairly readily though the tape being cheap, I wonder how much will just fall off. One piece, 12 hours later is already peeling. The red tape I used on the back was sourced via eBay from the USA. The orange, I can't recall. The yellow all came from China. Truth be told, it's likely all made in China and just rebadged. The only difference is the Chinese stuff is thinner.
I didn't see any point in inviting failures by putting the tape on curved surfaces so I just skipped the rub rails. The next thing will be to put horizontal tape using the good tape that's on its way from Texas right now.
The front got some white tape. Next week, assuming my luck has improved, I will put more white tape above and below the windscreen. 

The tires will have to be changed soon. They're 11 years old. I decided it's best to pay somebody to come out and change them since they have dropped 20-30psi in just 2 years (since I last drove the bus). I'm pretty sure I don't want to be driving when a steer tyre decides to blow. While I know the theory behind changing the tyres myself, at 60lbs for just the tire and 68lbs for the wheel itself, I think I'll let some brawny guy handle that. I was recommended one company and emailed them. Their response was upon consideration, quite reasonable so I don't feel any need to shop around for a lower price.

One of the other things I did was to mark where to drill to mount one of my two window covers. I didn't drill because this weekend, everything I've measured has come out wrong. As an example, mounting an under cabinet stereo did not go at all well. It took two days just to have it dangling from two screws. I gave up on trying to get the other two in. The paper template provided was clearly wrong as the last two holes did not line up. In fact they were way out. So, it'll be next week when I try anything else. 






No comments:

Post a Comment