Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A good hard spanking

That's what Lowes (hiss, spit) needs. Their selection of drill bits is utterly miserable. I've had two of their 5/16 drill bits burn out on me. The first I thought I overheated the but. The one today was used at the slowest speed on the drill and I made sure not to press down on the drill, letting it cut under its own weight. The drill bit failed after 3 holes. The previous one failed after 50 holes.

I give up on Lowes (hiss, spit). The quality of their tools is low while the prices are high. I've had to order a bit from eBay. Not only was the but cheaper, it was also carbide.
Despite the problems, I have 16 of my 18 barrel hangers done. The next stage will be to paint them with rust-killing primer. I'll probably dip them in the primer rather than painting them. I'll likely do the same at the painting stage.

I spent most of the day trying to drill as slowly and carefully as possible yet Lowes (hiss, spit) sucky drill bits ensured an unsuccessful end to the day with two hangers left to drill. That's 14 holes short of being able to proceed to the painting stage.

Once the barrel hangers are installed and the existing barrels hung, I'll make up the security bars for the drivers window and the back windows. Then I will be in very much a position to retitle the bus as a motorhome. I'm not so bothered about retitling from a driving point of view because I can drive any single unit vehicle of any weight, with or without passengers and even haul a 10,000lb trailer, according to my commercial drivers license. I'm more interested because it means cheaper insurance and that's always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment