Monday, May 30, 2016

What an awful mess!

This nasty, worthless stuff is Locktite thread locker. Allegedly it holds nuts firmly into place on bolts. The truth is, it doesn't do any such thing. Foolishly believing it might be good for something I held onto it rather than tossing it in the trash. Clearly Locktite just sells trash.

Yesterday if you remember, I put thread locker on my magnetic coil in the expectation that it would set and fix my coil into place. Despite reaching 97F inside the bus today, the thread locker was still a gooey, sticky mess that had transferred to things it shouldn't have. I'm going to have a heck of a job clearing up that nasty mess!

Today I got the power washer out and jet washed the bus in areas where I had noticed the paint was flaking. That revealed fairly large areas with no remaining paint. That took a long time as I also washed my car at the same time. Needless to say, the heat got to me and I had to rest in the cool for a long time.

Following that, I had been requested to move the bus. Milady's sister was afraid one sleepy morning she might back into my front bumper. As she drives a monocoque design SUV, I moved it. Her SUV would just not have survived such a collision with a parked 13 ton bus! Then I got to work with a paintbrush and some grey paint.

Working my way along the bus, I filled in all the areas where the grey had come off and painted over areas where I'd sprayed with the cheap dollar store grey paint. Needless to say I missed one section. That's not worth worrying about though as I have more painting to do.

The real aim of my spraying was to wash the front wheel arches, ready for grey paint and also to remove the hornet nest. I never got as far as painting the wheel arches. That would have meant lifting the hood forward and I'd already painted all the grab points. Complicating things further, wasps seem to be building a nest behind the headlamps. As I didn't have my handy spray to hand, I left them to get on with it. Maybe on Saturday I will have time to spray and paint.

In other news, I picked up my turn signal assembly from Napa. They never rang to let me know it was in. Honestly, I don't know what these stores are up to or how they remain in business. This assembly has no apparent wire protruding so I don't know if it's complete. I just have not had time to open it yet.

I played with my CPU fan today. I sat for a while in the bus, pulling out a small pile of redundant crockery that I was going to donate to milady. As I did so, I had the fan blowing on me, powered by 4 D cells. That was pleasantly cool. I can see that the CPU fan idea is likely to work. I'll work more on the bus at the weekend.

Meanwhile, tragedy struck. Those who can remember my LED hurricane lantern will remember how I hung it from hooks in the bus ceiling. Today, as I had it on a workbench to help me see to put the pressure washed away, it tumbled off the bench. The plastic hanging loop broke off. Now I have to figure out a way of hanging the lamp. This is very inconvenient. I cannot imagine why any manufacturer would make a camping product that was so flimsy! Camping lanterns and all camping gear is liable to be dropped! It should have been made more resilient. I'm going to have to work out a better solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment