Thursday, March 16, 2017

What it that?

A short while ago, out of interest I ordered a small generator. I should have known better! This piece of junk came from China. Without even trying it, I can see this is junk. The black part which contains the mechanism and mounts the generator to whatever it's going to be attached to is made of plastic. Chinese plastic is barely stronger than toilet paper so I can see this just isn't going to last more than a few minutes.

Having said all that, it's for experimentation anyway. I want to see whether I can make a small vertical access wind turbine out of this that's compact enough to be worthwhile. I have a feeling I already know the answer is going to be a resounding no.

I've tried solar panels and found them not to produce any meaningful amount of electricity and I rather expect I'll find the same with wind. Having said that, it has crossed my mind as to whether this might work better, coupled to a model aeroplane engine. Producing 12v and charging something like a 12v lawn mower battery could be quite useful. Food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment