Saturday, March 4, 2017

Now that's a lot of pussy!

The day started with my being in somewhat of a haze. Work has been exhausting. Getting up at 4AM then driving a couple of busloads of children with special needs to school with a rookie aide is not for the faint of heart. In fact all my school runs, even the afternoon run can be challenging. Yesterday afternoon was even more challenging than the morning as the children were somewhat loud and boisterous. I lost count of the number of f words that were released by the bigger kids on innocent ears!

So, not feeling too much like work, I sat in the bus and looked at the breaker box to identify where the fault is. It's definitely after the main breaker. I'll have another look tomorrow. I have a feeling it could be the cable between the main breaker and the distribution panel. I can replace that with a flexible 30A cable or with individual cables put in conduit. I really don't need more than 30A maximum.

Speaking of conduit, last week I bought two 14 foot conduits. Today I spent a good couple of hours putting cables into them ready to secure them under the bus. Into the conduit went a video cable and a  power cable. There was a cable for the reversing horn and another to connect to a battery. There are two thoughts in progress here. The first is that the power cable could run my front door lock and or conduct power from a front solar panel.

Also a week ago, I bought online a small wind generator dynamo. I will play with that and try to make a small wind turbine, possibly utilizing PVC guttering as a wind catcher. I'm not greatly impressed by solar power. I'll have to see if wind is any improvement.

Looking at my problem wiper pivot, I realized that the pivot arm is an inch lower than on the Carpenter original. That means I don't have to hunt for a ball connector. I can simply attach the arm from the original via a block to the new pivot arm and just ignore the ball connector, reusing the Carpenter pin connector. I knew sitting on the problem for a while would come up with a solution.

Prior to my putting cables in conduits, I spent a good while hunting for cables. I started off at Lowes (hiss, spit)where they wanted $20 for the kind of cable I eventually bought at Walmart for $10. A dishonorable mention must go to Radio Shack. They wanted $30 for the cable for which I paid just $10 elsewhere. Even Habitat for Humanity Restore was expensive. I saw a roll of cable that would have done the job. At $3 it looked a bargain but then I put my glasses on to see it was $8 for cable of unknown length and capacity.

Radio Shack is apparently continuing to close its stores. I can't say I'm surprised. They were a lousy store being expensive, pushy and stocked pure trash. Their electronics and electrical section was useful. The kits might have interested some but their plunge into phones, tablets and batteries was ridiculous. Especially since one could go elsewhere to get things for a third of the price. I can't say that I'll shed a single tear for the disappearance of Radio Shack. Even the jobs that are vanishing are just worthless retail jobs, suitable only for students.

I'm having to close the bus door when I work in it, these days. One of the neighbors seems to be crazy cat woman and has a lot of cats. They have been breeding just about everywhere here. Thus, the whole area is now swarming with cats and since they have 6 litters a year of up to 10 kittens per litter, we are in the grip of a population explosion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment