Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Saturday's the day!

I get to look at the old school bus that I saw on Craigslist on Saturday. The tag has expired but I'm going to have to get a new tag anyway - if I buy the bus. Apparently it's 30 feet long. It has been done out inside as a hunting cabin so there's a load of work to do to convert it to a home but this is not insurmountable. Working all day at weekends, I think I can get the majority of it done by Christmas. Maybe have it habitable sometime shortly thereafter.

The plan is to have the passenger compartment separated into 4 sections. There will be bedroom/closet, toilet/shower/bicycle storage, kitchen/dining, relaxation/storage. Power will come from solar panels. Aside from that, the windows will be replaced with sheets of steel. Now I could buy steel plate and bolt it on as the windows were originally or see if I can simply replace the glass in the windows with steel. Then insulate the heck out of it and add doors to each section in order to maintain warmth in winter.

Water will be contained in 5 gallon jerry cans. The shower will feed out of one of them via an instant hot water heater. Waste water will drain into a tank below the bus that's already in place. As the bus has no toilet, to save on water an earth-closet style chemical toilet will be used.

The only other modification will be to replace the concertina bus-style door with a coach-style pivoting door for security. And of course, the bus will be repainted to suit my style and personality. Interior decor will match exterior decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment