Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Big Bus (well, almost)

Today I had the pleasure of driving 90 minutes to see a fellow about a bus. It was advertised on Craigslist for $4200 and was in really good underlying condition. There was an oil leak that I spotted that needed fixing. The engine sounded good as did the transmission. The drive mounts and joints all seemed pretty solid as did the chassis.

There were minor issues such as a dead headlamp and a broken wiper motor. There were fans but no air conditioning. The interior needed complete remodelling and there was some kind of cargo shelf that had been welded to the rear that needed to be removed and a couple of other external oddities such as the remains of an awning and a flip down table.

Navigating to the destination proved interesting because Google navigated us off I20 and off I520 for no apparently worthwhile reason, causing an extra 30 minutes journey time.

There's a lot of work needing to be done but the basic vehicle is excellent. The big worry is that all four back tyres need replacement. Most are worn down on one side and a couple have dry rot. The front tyres look good.




























2 comments:

  1. I like the back deck. Our buses are the same vintage, and same engine. Good stuff.
    They don't even make our buses anymore! I have a Ward... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles Brown, We have a Ward as well, 1985 3500 cutaway model, cute as a button. I love the stairs in this one. Also I agree, the deck is pretty awesome!

      Delete