Sunday, August 22, 2021

How to find a leak!

Three problems were resolved today, all within an afternoon. How about that for progress?

The first problem - now that the control console can be opened and closed properly, having put rivnuts in place of the widening sheet metal screw holes - was to eliminate the buzzer. As per the circuit diagram there was a wire (in this case two wires) coming from a master plug. Those wires disappeared through a hole under the console so like as not they're going to come out in front of the heater fans. It really wasn't worthwhile looking for a way to remove those wires so I just capped them.

Having put a little red cap on the wires I traced the video cable. There was a problem in that I was not getting video from the new camera. It had been working but tracing the video cables proved fruitless. Everything in the console looked good so I just closed the console and left it at taking the buzzer out of the circuit. 

But wait, there's more. While I was in the console, I removed the horn switch that I had installed and the wiring that both I and the hillbillies had used because the horn actually works through the steering wheel button. That was a task well done.
The next step was to check to see if the video cable was disconnected at the back. Indeed, it was. Now it is reconnected so there should be no more issues.

While I was working in the bus it began to rain. Within a few minutes water began to come down, dripping in two places off the head protector above the back door. 
Earlier in the day I'd looked using an endoscopic camera inside the back of the bus and found no evidence of leaks but had discovered some rusty spot welds. Nothing I can do about those! Not having my endoscope, I put my finger up and felt around. I felt wetness.

There was a line of wet coming from the wire to my door side top marker light. That's the leak likely identified. None of the others appeared to be leaking. I'll have to go back up there and squirt some form of sealant up there just to seal around the wire. With luck, that will be all the leaks dealt with.  The front marker lights need to be checked for leaks too. That can be done another day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment