Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Moron brake lines

I had an odd happening with the undersink water pump the other day. It just didn't want to work. Thinking the lines were blocked, I removed the lines and the filters and blew through it all, proving that wasn't the problem. It wasn't sucking water and wasn't really blowing much air out of the other end when the outlet was unplugged. After being baffled by that I ordered another waterpump since that seemed the logical thing to do. I also got a fuel filter from Tractor Supply as that might also help. Then I got home and tried it again and it was all working. Very strange! That goes in the annals of yesterday it worked, today it didn't and tomorrow it will.
I've been thinking on lighting and playing with various ideas. I'm going to standardise on BA15S mounts for all my bulbs as BA15S bulbs are commonly available as turn signal bulbs. Not just that but with adapters that I now have I can use G4 halogen bulbs (which I have also). 
The bulb mounts will have to be redesigned. On order I have a Grote dome light fixture. Those are expensive but with frosting spray inside the lens and white paint inside the unit should produce very pleasant, usable light. That will be an experiment but as it natively takes BA15S bulbs I can also use my G4  halogen bulbs.
My task for today was to remove the old front brake line. One side was easy enough to cut with just a junior hacksaw. The other side there was no room to get a junior hacksaw into the space.
The old lines are black and nasty looking. The new lines are bright and shiny. But the difficult to cut line was fairly readily cut using a simple Harbor Freight air saw.
I like the air saw - it works really well. I did get an air hammer too and tested that, finding it also works well. Well, it worked well on the nails I removed from wood but I have yet to try it on rivets.
The old front brake line, removed with two cuts is pretty big. There was no way whatever to make a line that shape and size without removing the radiator and the turbo intercooler. My replacement had to be made in four pieces.
That air hammer was a load of fun. Essentially I suppose it's a miniature jackhammer. I can see that will have a lot of use.
Today though I had great success in removing the old brake line, I had to remake the right hand piece because it just wasn't right. The first piece was pressed against the back of the turbo intercooler. That wasn't good so I had a couple of goes at remaking it. Above is the latest effort. I'm hoping that I can put a slight bend in the tube in order to make it fit. The real bend needs to be at the bottom but I can't do that with an armored tube. I'll have to try to slide the armor back far enough to put a bend in the top - if there's enough space. Otherwise, I could well end up remaking the line for a 5th time. Who said brake lines were simple? I'm definitely getting a new appreciation for the heroes that do this on a daily basis!

All I can say is that the back brake lines look to be several lengths of straight line with a bend on one end then the other ends in a T connection before heading down both sides of the differential to the wheels. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment