Thursday, January 7, 2021

Drained the brake fluid

Yesterday I mentioned the recycled brake line from an earlier unsuccessful attempt at forming something. It has a bit of a kink in it that doesn't need to be there but it doesn't hang down so it should be fine. It's armored and it's a front brake line so not a major braking line.
All the lines to the passenger side front wheel have been replaced. Both the flexible lines and the solid lines, including those that go from one side of the chassis to the other.
Today I put the second blended line into place. In doing so I found the hose securing clamp for the back brake line that was missing. It was wedged behind the hillbilly brake line replacement. All that's missing now is the nut to secure it to the bodywork. That's probably 8-32 so I'll pick one up in the store on my next trip.
Only one line under the hood needs to be replaced now. I'd made one beforehand but it was wrong. Then it's on with the line along the length of the bus - the main line. Well, that's hidden behind the transmission so that's going to be interesting to locate and install. I'm wondering whether I can reach the securing points.
Bending the last piece of brake line is challenging because the old line has much sharper bends more tightly together than I can achieve with my current tools. I will have to come up with my own version and that's going to eat up a lot of brake line in experimentation. The tight U curve at the bottom is the most challenging part. This line is clearly eaten up with rust.

I am not looking forward to the section behind the differential but I'll have to investigate. Most of the length there's no problem. It's just the bit behind the transmission box that's hard. I might have to pull out my cell phone to take pictures or even use my endoscope.

Once I have the last line installed under the hood (aside from the main line to the back wheels) I shall be very happy. Every inch of line so far has had many challenges.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment