Sunday, June 2, 2019

New destination

For a long time I had destination signs in my front window on the bus for a laugh. I had for the longest time: "Fort Leavenworth Death Row Express". Then I had "Fort Leavenworth Prison Choir". They were inserted into a plastic sign holder that I'd had for donkey's years. Time for a change!

A few days ago I bought some note-card in 8.5x11 which will be excellent for the lazer printer. The new plan is to print off a few dozen humorous destinations and to use the same plastic holder but this time, glue magnets to it so that it doesn't slide about. The problem with the previous signs is they were paper and just folded and crumpled. I think the card will last longer. 

I didn't do a lot today. It was hot again and about the only thing I can do is to install my new CPU fan. That will involve filling the old holes I'd drilled with rivets. Of course my riveter is being disobedient. Combine that with the fact that I need to get some drywall screws in order to complete attaching the cable ducting to the wall and you can see I have plenty to buy. Just when I thought I'd bought everything and didn't need anything more!
I repurposed the mount I'd made for the old (big) CPU fan and simply ignored the fact it was longer than needed. It's not that important. The important thing is that the smaller CPU fan shifts far more air, far faster than the bigger fan.

While I was drilling the new holes to mount the smaller fan, I noticed the cooling fan from the drill was blowing the fan. That had me thinking about wind generators. My big thing about wind generators is that they are universally huge. The blades are gigantic and not guarded and they generate very little power if any in the usual low wind speeds. Seeing the concentrated air having an effect on the CPU blades made me wonder instead about using my old battery fans to generate power. Rather than having a propeller and a tail I could have a cone around the fan to concentrate the wind and have it on a boom. That way a small 12V fan and a plastic bucket or similar could be used to amplify the wind and turn a worthless 12v motor into a useful generator.

That's about all I did today. I'll have next week to buy myself some half inch cable wrap, blue female spade connectors and some drywall screws. Other than that I think I probably have everything I need. I still have to wipe down my welder and my welding helmet with disinfecting wipes. They've been out of the rat house and stored in vehicles where the heat must surely kill any remaining bacteria. I did pull a wheelchair out at the same time - that I left in the sun for a day where the heat and ultraviolet should kill what washing with Lysol didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment