Sunday, June 10, 2018

Several advances all at once (maybe)

Over the period since my last blog entry I have done several things, none of which was big enough to merit a blog article though. Thus, today you get all the juicy, intimate and dare-I-say-it naughty bits.

A few days ago I worked on my digital door unlocker. That’s now in place and functioning. In fact I went beyond the original plan by including an alarm that sounds when the door unlocker has been used. My regular key lock works just fine and now I have an emergency unlocking keypad in use for times when I don’t have access to my keys.
That’s the magic that makes everything happen. Two relays and a button. When the digital codeock has not been used, power flows from my key door unlocker through the relays. The key unlocker works off 10x AA batteries and they last a good long time. When the digital door unlocker is active, power from the solar battery is used. That operates the right hand relay which cuts off the key unlocker circuit and powers the door unlocker. The button operates the left hand relay, cutting off both the digital unlocker and the key unlocker and closes the door unlocker. That way everything is failsafe.
And there you can see the digital door unlocker installed. When the correct code is punched in, the door unlocks and at the same time, a truly ear-piercing alarm sounds. Everybody within 100 yards will see what’s going on! It’s just an emergency unlocker with a few safety precautions.

The wiring doesn’t look that tidy and I’ll have to tape it properly and tuck it out of sight. When people see bundles of untidy wire they all scream “unsafe” but the reality is what they can’t see is the untidy bundles of wire behind panels. I have never ever seen wire that looked remotely tidy in any vehicle.
I had to do some painting on a derelict mobile home that I’m renovating. Thus I located my paint roller and tray from when I put the elastometric paint on the roof of my bus. The paint peeled out of the tray in a very solid, very flexible, very tough sheet. This is that paint. It’s possible to see that it has turned into a very good waterproof membrane. As far as its insulating properties go, it has already been established that this membrane keeps the bus internal temperature very much closer to the outside temperature.
Having seen the “welcome” signs people seem to put on their bus steps, I went the other way and put a “go away” sign. It goes together with the prison bus look of my bus. The text of the sign is copied from the first two lines of the Groom Lake /Area 51 sign. I figured it looked more official and in keeping with the looks of my bus. I really relish my privacy and being on my own for periods of time. I spent too long in a place where I was screamed at, yelled at, hit, lied to and generally abused both physically and mentally. If this keeps the bullies away, I’m happy.
My next little task was to get some stencils and spray “Max 56 MPH” on the back bumper. I don’t normally get problems from other drivers, driving a big bus but there are some. I figured that might help. I did want to put 55 but there was only one of each number in the set. Likewise there was only one M so the other M is an upside down W. Because the stencil wouldn’t lie flat against the bumper I had to spray through the stencil and the spray has blurred the outside of the lettering. Thus today I sprayed it black as I’d found I still have a small roller and tray. I can apply with a roller - that will be far more satisfactory! I decided also to move the painting to the left side of the bumper anyway.
A small job but a necessary one. I’d not had a fuse on my solar panels before so I spent a few minutes installing one. As can be seen from the red color, it’s a 10A fuse. I doubt I’ll need more. My regular 35W of panels is about 3A and my additional 60W panels come to 5A for a grand total of a shade under 8A. At 95W total amperage would be 7.92A - too much for the next fuse down with is 7.5A.
Today I had a whole load of fun putting this box together It’s going to go on the positive (or negative) side of my extra solar power. I put a 12v cigarette lighter socket under the bus to plug in, extrenal solar input. Many solar panels come with 12V adaptors but with the usual Murphey’s law, my twin 30W panels came with totally different connectors.  Anyway, the switch is three way - on, off, on. That means I can have the external input on or put the panels inside the windshield and plug them in on the inside of the bus. I will, of course be putting a fuse between the switch and the solar collection hub. I figure a 5A or maybe a 7.5A fuse will be best. Again, I’m sticking with automotive fuses.
My plan had been to secure the wires etc inside the switch box by filling vacant space with foam sealant. That was not to be, however. I picked up my can of great stuff and found the nozzle seemed to be clogged. I cleared it with a 1/8th drill bit held between my fingers. Interestingly I went further and further down into the can without even hearing a hiss of gas. When I pulled the bit out I realised I’d gone 6 inches into the can with no release of gas or sealant. That meant that the gas had all leaked out.

Because I’m inquisitive like that, I pulled out my .177 air pistol and popped a .177 pellet into the side of the can. Nothing happened immediately then I noticed a small bead of foam. I put the can down and 5 minutes later the foam was really beginning to ooze out. I’m assuming because air had got in, it was beginning to expand.
What I didn’t expect when the foam oozed out was to see a pale looking Poppa Smurf riding the can. Still, I suppose he’s better out than in!

No comments:

Post a Comment