Sunday, June 17, 2018

Problems looking for solutions

Today I looked into both extending the solar power cords on my solar panels and installing the microwave. I started by working on the solar panels before having to give up on that for the day. It was one of those days when nothing seemed to go right.
Looking up the correct gauge for my wires it seems that I need 14 gauge. Thus, I got some 14 gauge and found it would not fit into the MC4 connectors nor into the cigarette lighter plug. No matter how hard I tried, I just could not get it to fit. I’ll probably have to put thinner wire (which is not recommended for the amperage of solar panel in use).
Looking at the connector on the back of the solar panel, the wires are undersized there too. I’m not a great fan of the junction box either. So, I’ll probably end up doing what I should darned well have done a month or so back - cutting the MC4 connectors off and soldering my new cable into place. Then I’ll solder a Hopkins connector on the end of that and a Hopkins connector onto the cigarette lighter plug. The wires on the Hopkins connector are a bit light but honestly I trust my soldering far more than the flimsy MC4 connectors.

Putting the microwave in wasn’t as straightforward as it could have been either. I’d picked up some stainless washers and a vinyl tile. The vinyl tile was to stop wet under the microwave from rotting the wood of the countertop. Unfortunately when I put the tile down I put it in slightly the wrong place and of course it’s self adhesive. On boy, things really aren’t going well today!
Needless to say, I can work with the microwave where it is but if I can lift the tile, I will and I’ll move it succiciently that it’s on the right pace. As you can see, the tile will catch drips and splashes from the microwave.
The plan is to secure 4 brackets - two at the back and one on each side of the microwave. It turned out that the bolts put in by the maker are long enough that I can go through the bracket and secure the microwave. A pile of stainless steel washers spaces the bracket off the countertop and a stainless steel bolt will secure the bracket to the countertop. Four bolts and brackets should keep the microwave in place and if anybody asks, it’s definitely built-in

So, the plan with the microwave is to move it a couple of inches to the left if possible. I might have underestimated the number of stainless washers needed so I might need more. I’d forgotten that the floor tile would have thickness.

The plan with the solar panels is to throw out those silly MC4 connectors and to solder longer wires to the provided wires then to solder a Hopkins connector to the end since I already use Hopkins connectors. Then I’ll put a Hopkins connector on my cigarette lighter plug. That’ll be far easier to solder. I just have to remember where I put my Hopkins connectors.

So the upshot was nothing of any substance happened despite having bought about $20 worth of wire plus about $10 of other bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment