Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Now you see it, now you don’t.

Today I had a shorter day than normal which gave me time to work on the bus a little. Last time I found one of my wires didn’t work so that meant replacing the wire. In fact as it was one of those figure 8 twin wires it was a case of replacing both.

As far as my wiring goes, there’s nothing standard. Some of my 12v earth wires are black and others are white. Really and truly I should have planned the electrical stuff but it’s a system that grew organically. Needless to say, it is all set now to wire into the main battery. There’s a little tidying up left to do and to connect the fan but otherwise, the front electrics are completed.
That’s how the front electrics look with the power off. You can see the bit that still needs tidying on the right.
That’s how the front electrics look with the power on. Not bad at all and that Walmart 2 watt bulb lights up the entire galley very well. I did briefly try my Chinese LEDs but with them facing the wall the 4.5 watt bulbs produce less light than the 1.2 watt bulbs. With the LEDs facing outwards they were dazzling and unpleasant to view and the light was harsh. I’ll put a lampshade over this one anyway.
 Moving to the bedroom I installed the new lighting bracket. The bulb holder is simply glued into place using Liquid Nails. The bulbs don’t produce much heat and are quite light. Thus there’s little to fear from gluing things together. I’ve got a socket driver holding it down while the glue cures.
Meanwhile, on a trip to Walmart I saw a very useful 8 gallon water container that has built in wheels. Very nice but 8 gallons is still going to be 64 pounds. That’s way to heavy to lift comfortably. The ideal would be some kind of lightweight folding two wheeled hand truck to carry my existing 6 gallon Jerry cans. Of course they’re available all over eBay and Amazon. I’m not old and decrepit enough to merit buying one yet though. Another few days like today at work and it might be different though.

No comments:

Post a Comment