Sunday, May 2, 2021

Part 2 of the end - a job unfinished

Having been up and down the stepladder multiple times yesterday, my leg muscles were really quite sore. I did get the camera installed and correctly aimed. That took quite some running up and down the ladder to get the camera aimed right. I'd like to have had it aimed slightly further away from the bus but I couldn't achieve that. The camera wouldn't adjust that far.
The picture is really clear and without the ridiculous lines that so many cameras have. I do have a third version of this camera that I might use to replace the front camera. The picture is really quite decent. As can be seen in the picture, the ladder is visible and a paint pot I put on the ground.
That camera really does show how close the bus is to something. With this I can get to within a few inches when backing up, which is very useful.
I did want a skirt around the lens as a lens hood that would redirect water away from the lens. The last backup camera was ruined by water ingress into an allegedly waterproof camera.

I was unable to get a piece of aluminium tubing as big as needed and had to expand a square tube to take a round camera. Yes - you read that right - I did fit a round peg into a smaller square hole. I just modified the squareness to accommodate it. Thus, as I'd used the largest aluminium tube available, various ideas came to mind for a lens hood. In the end, the cheapest, simplest option seems to be working well.

Aluminium duct tape sprayed with primer then topcoat. after the paint was dry, it was a case of folding a quarter of the tape over itself lengthwise. Then it was simply attached to the camera mount. The end result - a skirt that will direct rain away from the camera.

The camera itself is push fit and the cable is caulked into place inside the bus. If the camera did wiggle loose then it wouldn't drop but as the camera was also hot glued, it should never work loose. 

I had intended to put lenses and lights into place today. Aside from running out of time, there just weren't enough blue male spade connectors to connect the three clearance lights. I also had misgivings about doing those or the conspicuty tape until the roof is also painted. 

Next weekend the plan is to paint the gutters and as far up the curve of the roof as I can get. Again, the paint will be white. The center of the roof is something for another day. At some point the roof vent will get switched out but probably after the painting has been completed.

Well, it's progress but not quite as much progress as I would like. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment