Thursday, February 6, 2020

There we go...

This is the specification from the archived Harbor Freight website for the vandalised solar panel.
Name15 Watt Solar Panel
SKU96418
BrandThunderbolt Magnum Solar
Amperage (amps)1
ApplicationRV Or Marine 12v Batteries
MaterialABS
Quantity1
Wattage (watts)15
Product Height1 in.
Product Length36-1/2 in.
Product Width12-1/2 in.
Shipping Weight13.80 lb.
Accessories IncludedCigarette lighter adapter, battery terminal clamps and bare wire pigtail
Of the specifications, the interesting bit is the dimension. 36.5" x 12.5". I'm not that keen on the height of the panel and never was - it always seemed a little overbearing. The newer panels are of the following specifications...
Brand
ALEKO
Model
PP10W12V-WM
Manufacturer Part Number
PP10W12V-WM
Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)
12.00 x 15.00 x 2.00 Inches
They're slightly narrower. In fact I don't really believe the published dimensions of either. In fact I went and checked the dimensions of the solar panels that arrived at 9 3/4 x 14 1/2 inches. It's close but whoever did the measurements must have had a crooked ruler.
I've been unable to test the new panels so far but since they came from Walmart, I can at least return them if they don't fulfill requirements. Those from eBay are - well eBay sellers don't have a staggering reputation for honesty - a lost cause I'm afraid.

I did order some rivnuts from China a few days ago but I gather that since the Coronavirus is causing such consternation, nothing is being allowed into the USA from China. Thus I started to reorder from a USA supplier then decided against since eBay is such a crook's palace anyway. I'll have to go to Grainger, the other side of town instead.

Meanwhile today I popped into Lowes (hiss, spit) and bought some colored wires and cable connectors. I'd forgotten I'd ordered cable connectors so when I got home, there they were in the mailbox. That's all good - I can always use cable connectors!

The plan afoot here is to remove the vandalized solar panel and to replace it with three of the new smaller panels. I still have to test them but if they produce the 10W each that they promise then I will have 30W on the front of the bus instead of 15W and they will be much more securely mounted.

While I'm working inside, I'll put a pair of SAE surface mount connectors over the windshield so that I can just connect the portable panels by looping cables upwards. That way there are no cables over the driver's seat thus allowing me to work on whatever at the driver's seat. This is why I have 4 wires. Two for the permanent panels and two for the portable panels.

Using the cable connectors (of which all are capable of connecting three cables together) I shall tap into the solar power supply for the door lock and power my cameras and C-DVRs. That will in turn mean 24x7 surveillance is available.

While I was ordering the extra panel I also ordered a bigger surveillance camera and a recording unit. That, I gather, needs a hard drive but they're as cheap as chips. The goal of that is to provide 24x7 surveillance of the yard since there have been unseemly goings on recently. If that unit works out well then I might replace the two C-DVR units with a single recording unit and record from all three cameras as well as a 4th that will look down the steps.

I looked at the back door of the bus and there appears to be no new water ingress. The roof vent does not appear to be leaking but it is very rusty and in dire need of replacement. The leak at the front over the transmission shroud continues and I still have no idea where the water is coming from.

This weekend I can definitely do the internal wiring for the panels and to solar power the cameras/recorders. None of that should take long and it should all be doable without reference to the weather. The roof vent and switching out solar panels is something that will need a long dry period. While I have thought of building a little roof over the bus I really don't want to spend the money on something I'll not need for that long. I'll just wait for a dry day.

In other news, there was a scrapyard down the road that had some worthwhile steel. Sadly they have now closed. It seems all the local scrapyards, one by one, as I get more interested in welding, have closed. Somebody did advertise they had 10 tons of scrap and didn't want anybody to come and get the bits they wanted. They just wanted the whole lot hauled off en masse which was a bit pathetic. I bet nobody came. I could have done with some scrap steel!

No comments:

Post a Comment