Sunday, May 26, 2019

Real, running water on demand!

It may not look much but this is actual running water. After running the cable under the bus yesterday to the bathroom, it's now up, under the sink and at the pump. I sat there on the toilet with my knee pressed against the pump button for quite a few seconds, in awe of what I've just created. It wasn't fun installing the cables under the sink as I had to drill holes and put screws in, blind. It was a time that I wished I was as small as a Barbie doll.
Heaven knows why my phone decided not to focus on this one but the bottom left fuse is a 1A ATO/ATC fuse and that powers my handbasin water pump. That fuse place had been empty forever! The fuse 2nd down on the left powers my bathroom fan - whenever my bathroom fan arrives from China.

Things I'm currently waiting for:
a 10A self-resetting breaker (delivery date June 11 - July 23). That could be a while and I might end up getting one in a car parts store locally if they have any.
A pack of 5 power connectors. (delivery date May 24 - June 3). It's not forever but as I can't find anything locally, it'll have to do.

I started work on putting some brackets onto my purple box. That just wasn't destined to happen today! I drilled two holes but they were to small and needed to be enlarged. Whoops - one hole got a little too big but I did find a washer to put on the inside for the rivet. Did I say I was riveting? Clearly I didn't inform the riveter that it was expected to work.
The first rivet broke off short before even completing its mission, leaving me with a mess to deal with. That, I'll resolve with my angle grinder. I'll just cut the core and grind the head down then redo the rivet.
Meanwhile I tried to rivet the other side. This hole was the right size for the rivet but again the riveter had trouble. It has managed to bend the shaft of the rivet and refused to grasp it in order to finish tightening the rivet and to break the shaft off.

I've had trouble with riveters and angle grinders but not this problem with a riveter. Bearing in mind I'm using aluminium rivets with steel cores, this is quite pathetic! I had to rebuild one riveter after it jammed on me. That was quite interesting as I'd never dismantled one before. This one is simpler and I'm wondering whether a squirt of oil might help it work better.

Having had three near disasters I decided to call it a day. I'm taking the hint that today the universe is telling me not to work on construction for the day. Generally I find once I go beyond 3 problems everything turns into a nightmare. It certainly doesn't help that it's 100F today (38C).

No comments:

Post a Comment