Wednesday, March 13, 2019

A task worked on

The other day I was defeated in my completion of my installation of my front-facing video camera. Today, during my first work break I zipped down to Home Depot and Tractor Supply. There, I purchased some nuts and bolts with the aim of completing my camera installation.
If you look very carefully at the photo above, just underneath the central rivet and above the back of the driver fan it's possible to see my fully installed camera. All I needed were two 1/4" nuts and two No 6 bolts with nuts. So frustrating I could not find them. I'm pretty sure I have 1/4" nuts and bolts somewhere but where they would be located is in a building infested with rats. As rats carry nasty diseases that they leave in their stools, urine and sweat I try to stay out of that building.
This is the end result - a completely installed camera. I can adjust its angle and direction readily by connecting the video cable to my rear-view monitor and looking as I adjust it. I still need to install the power cables (for the camera and recorder) and the video recorder. The recorder won't take long. I'll have to spend quite a while running the cables through my existing cable wrap.
While I was out I also happened upon this LED light bulb. It was way more expensive than I'd normally pay but I wanted to compare it with my existing lights. There was a heck of a difference. This is 7.5W and produced (it claimed 650 lumens) plenty light. We won't go over the nonsense measurement of lumens. The only honest measure of light is candela since the specification for measuring lumens is ludicrously vague. I'll liken lumens to a bucket. A small bucket for a sandcastle is still a bucket while a bucket in a dump truck that would hold thousands of sand buckets is still a bucket.

When I got back to Castle Dracula tonight after my hard day of slaving down the salt mines for my daily bowl of festering rice I tried the new light bulb. It certainly is exceptionally bright! In order to make full use of the brightness with its upwards direction only I'd have to put a frosted globe over it. I'll have to see what I can find. My immediate thought was the bottom of a smaller pop bottle sprayed with frosting spray. Sadly the plastic of pop bottles doesn't take spray paint if I recall correctly. Thus I'll have to look further afield.

My weekend was cut short by a knee injury - possibly visited on me by cheap Walmart tennis shoes. Today in my outing I bought some different tennis shoes. Again I bought from Walmart but these are a variety I've had before. The difference seems night and day. Assuming my knees recover by the weekend, there's no reason why I should not complete the video cabling and close up the control console this weekend. Heck, if it's dry I might even complete my underbus work and switch out my external cigarette socket power inputs for my two pin Anderson sockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment