Thursday, December 14, 2017

The light is cold

A few days ago I test sprayed one of my three cheap LED lanterns with frosting spray. The picture below is a comparison between frosted and unfrosted. I think you’ll agree the frosted lantern is far easier on the eyes.
 In spraying several things became apparent. First that not very much spray is actually needed. The cap of the spray can is almost impossible to remove unless you whack it with a wrench like I did. Now it won’t stay on but that’s what duct tape is for! Finally and most importantly the spray needs at least 59F ambient temperature or the frosting effect doesn’t happen.
 I can’t remember how much money changed hands for this spray. It wasn’t free (unfortunately) but though it hasn’t got tremendous application, it’s a useful thing to have.
 Here’s a lineup of my three cheap lanterns, all sprayed. No light hotspots visible! Notice how evenly the light is applied and how easy it is to look at the lanterns. It was pure discomfort to Use and view them before.
This is a very deceiving image. While I did take that using solely the light from my three lanterns - No flash and no other lighting - it really was quite dim in there. You can see that by the way the light doesn’t throw much further than the bedroom. The bathroom looks dingy and the kitchen beyond the white double doors looks quite sepulchral.

I have, on order, some G4 bulb holders, just in care I want to put 12v G4 LED light bulbs and three flat LED 1000 lumen, 10W light strips. I don’t expect the light strips to be much good but thought I’d try them. The G4 mounts will also take standard G4 bulbs so I can use trustworthy illumination if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment