Monday, March 5, 2018

I was feeling grotty!

Today started in a fairly lackluster way with my being slow to move. Then during the day I was plagued by an upset stomach. Thinking critically about it, I’d bet that was down to yesterday. I spent most of yesterday helping to replace a badly rotted floor in an unused trailer. I bet that I was breathing in mold, mildew and other nasties.
In the picture you can see mold on the wall and the floor that’s rotted. In fact there was more rotted floor going right across the trailer. Needless to say, it was an all day job!

So, today I took it fairly easy. Yesterday my replacement USB charger arrived but as I had no more of the cute Radio Shack square red push-button switches I opted to use a paddle switch for the voltmeter. That meant I was short of a switch for something else. As the accessory socket with USB charger insert had no light on it and since I had an illuminated switch, it made sense just to have the illuminated switch working the cigarette-lighter USB socket combination. I opted not to use the duel voltage USB socket that I’d bought. Well, perhaps not this time. There might be a future use for it.

Today my extra 1A fuses arrived so I spent quite a few minutes working through my fuse boxes, replacing overlarge fuses with 1A. I need some 4A fuses but I don’t currently have any. I’m not sure they make them so 5A has to suffice.
I spent quite a while working on the inside of my box. I totally lacked right-angled connectors so at one point I just had to pull out the soldering iron. Needless to say I got interrupted twice by the call of the throne.

Once that was completed I had to install it which is where I suddenly had to rush off to the car parts store because I had run out of - of all things - blue male connectors (like the one on the red lead at the bottom of the photo). Infuriatingly I needed just two for this project. I’ll need more for the digital code lock for the front door though so now I’m good.

While I was at the auto-parts store I asked about a cam lock for the fuel door and a locking paddle latch for the battery door. They didn’t have anything but one of their displays looked old enough to be priced in Confederate money.  Their suggestion was to try an RV parts store. That might be highly priced but it’s worth a shot.

Assuming I add no further circuits inside the bus, the projects remaining are:
1. Door code lock
2. Battery door lock
3. Fuel door lock
4. Tidying wiring for the keyed door lock and the solar input.

I had a think about the air vents and have another potential solution. That involves using a gravity flapper and a hood. I think to be honest I’m probably going to have to pull my vent tubing out and redo the vents. That was why I returned the vinyl plank I’d bought and didn’t proceed further than trying things. I had a feeling I was going to have to redo it fairly extensively.

I’m rather glad I’ve got a light over the desk in the front of the bus. It means when I clear construction debris and materials, I’ll be able to move my swivel chair to the galley and sit there to blog or whatever. Speaking of the galley however, I realised there’s another task or rather two. The first is to make some method of holding the microwave down and the other to put a bar in front of the fridge so that it doesn’t slip out of its hidy hole.

This bus has come a long way since my first panicked look at the newly emptied interior. I remember looking at that and wondering what I’d let myself in for. Meanwhile in my conversation with the fellow in the car parts store, I found that his dad had converted several busses over the years and that 3 years was about how long it normally took single-handed. Maybe I should have used both hands? No - scrub that - this is a family oriented blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment