Saturday, February 24, 2018

What a horrible day!

Today started off with my going to work on making the rear ventilation fans more efficient by changing out the mushroom domes and replacing them with flapper vents, thereby eliminating the need for a mosquito screen. That didn’t actually happen.

It took an age for me to find my reserve adjustable hole cutter - never mind the original! When I did, I carefully marked out a piece of plexiglass that would have been ideal to mount the new vent to and over the old vent hole attachment (that sounds very confusing and it is but I don’t feel like explaining).
So I started cutting with the hole cutter which looks like some kind of medieval torture device. The cutter snagged and tugged the plexiglas so I gently freed the cutter without realizing I was still slightly touching the trigger. The thing spun one time and hit my thumb with a whack. It wasn’t that bad of a whack but it hit my on my thumbnail.
Uh Oh! See that nice crack reaching 2/3rds of the way across my thumbnail and quite deep down? That’s going to be a major problem for the next probably 4 - 6 weeks until it grows out. So, I had to down tools and head to the store for some nail glue to try to hold the nail from breaking and falling off. Anyway, I got some nail glue and I’ve glued it. I also got some fake nails as well - just in case I need to reinforce my broken nail. That’s going to be somewhat strange as I don’t wear fake nails. I suppose I could cut a strip off one and glue it on.

On my way back from the store I found the mail had arrived. In it, the USB charger I wanted had arrived. Or had it? This is the kind of USB charger I was expecting.
 That was what I ordered. A simple USB charger. It just fits in place and behaves itself. This is what I use to charge everything!
Sadly, that is not what arrived. What arrived was a 12v socket with a mini USB charger that slips inside. That is most definitely not what I wanted and will not fit within my specifications. Bloody Chinese being devious and dishonest again! If I was to use that piece of junk then I’d probably one day pull that USB thing out and try using the socket as a 12v socket then wonder why my fuse kept blowing. The problem is I have wired the system for a 3A socket, not for a cigarette lighter socket. I would have used heavier cabling if I’d been going to use a cigarette lighter socket.

Now I have to source another USB charging socket and pay more for the privilege of it coming from somewhere in the USA. This socket is just trash as far as I’m concerned but worse than that - I worked to pay their wages to send me trash! So, hunting around online, I’m now $6.79 poorer and have what I hope will be the correct thing on the way from California.
I think I can honestly say that a fake fingernail looks just wrong, particularly when you can see these hands do plenty hard work. So, stymied twice today - on the ventilation and on the internal wiring. The only projects remaining after those two are the digital code lock, tidying the wiring for the door unlocker and putting locks on the fuel and battery doors. It has to be Friday the 13th somewhere!

And to cap it all, I was sitting in the bus with the lights on yesterday when suddently the charge controller switched everything off. It’s a 20A charge controller and I had on at the time my USB charger (max 3.1A), my 150ma CPU ventilation fan, my 2.5W room light and my twin 2.5A fans had just turned on when the power went out. Now that’s a grand total of 8.46A assuming the maximum. Most certainly not 20A. Even allowing the fans to have a starting current higher than 5A (which they do), even that doesn’t explain it as the fans are on a 7.5A fuse that has never blown. Even more wasckily, I flipped the main power switch off then on again and everything started back up again. What caused that to trip is unknown. When you can’t find the cause or identify a cause, it’s ample evidence that the French were behind it all!






No comments:

Post a Comment