Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hillbilly workmanship

Today I just did small things - nothing major. Well, maybe it was major - I worked on the wiring the hilbillies put in. What an outstanding mess that was! Cables just hanging with no power and no purpose either.

First task of the day was to open the switch console. Inside was a card with phone numbers of various Louisiana government officials, a roughly scribbled handwritten note, a Pokemon card and another insect nest. Two of the three bulbs illuminating the control panel were burnt out and will have to be replaced. Entering the control panel were two wires. One had positive and negative connections. The other was the remains of a cigarette socket. Neither had power.

Having removed those, I noted with amazement or rather incredulity that the bus horn was connected to a button wired via the fuse box. It was not fused in any meaningful way. There's a lot of bad workmanship. I really can't make up my mind whose workmanship is worse - Carpenter's or the hillbillies'.

Another thing I did was to screw down the first plastic plank and to seal it against leaks from the doorway. With luck, that will work. Needless to say I ran out of sealant and had to run to the store. While I was there I looked around and found timber suitable for the bath support and cheap vinyl siding which should be really good as a lining for the shower area.

No comments:

Post a Comment