Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Flo, the cheap hooker

I just wondered where my insurance cards are and asked my agent since I had to go see him today - that's the cards for my SUV and my bus. I'd had to see him because the police had given me a form to file with him after I'd encountered yet another of South Carolina's supremely incompetent drivers for whom the rear window and observation through the rear window while reversing from a parking bay into a road was a truly novel idea that he had yet to embrace. Needless to say, seeing that he was reversing into my path, I stepped on my brakes while he happily reversed at increasing speed before ricocheting off my front bumper. This meant damage had been caused for my front number plate and mount had been ripped off by his carelessness. Suspecting there might be more damage than was obvious, I informed the police who gave me the form to take to my insurer - Progressive.

So, my insurer informed me that I would be receiving the documents shortly. Then I discovered they arrive in e-format. Trying to get them in a real, tangible format would cost me the princely sum of $26 a go. Progressive isn't really any cheaper than my old uninsurer (State Farm - may they roast for all eternity on the fires of eternal damnation) but they want extra for providing documents that they're legally obliged to provide! That just has the feeling of a cheap hooker. Maybe I should have taken heed of Progressive's TV advert that features a woman in a white smock that's as heavily plastered in cheap make-up as the average street hooker.

Interestingly, I went online to chat with a Progressive representative. I suggested they sent my documents to my PO Box but apparently it's too challenging for them to have two addresses on file. Christ help them if they find I live in a different location from my PO Box and that my bus is parked at a 3rd location. They'd probably have to book a six month session at the Penthouse suite of the funny farm to recover from the shock!

This weekend is the weekend I'm hoping to get real locks for the bus. I can't really start putting stuff on while it's so easy for people just to push the door open and get in. This will involve a nail-biting drive with the only functioning speedometer being the app on my mobile phone. I still have not discovered what's happened to the existing speedometer. I suspect the cable has popped off the back of the engine somewhere though I cannot yet see where even after raising the hood. Maybe rolling around in the dirt underneath might help but I'm not certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment