Sunday, November 30, 2014

Bogus milege?

Today, driving from one house to another in my bus, I finally took a photo of the odometer. After doing so, I noted the telltale sign that the bus had been clocked. The digits don't line up. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I could have had a slightly newer bus with genuine mileage for slightly less money straight from a school district in North Carolina.

Needless to say, I'm a little perplexed as to why anybody would fiddle the mileage on a 20 year old bus. I don't think I nor anybody else thought the mileage was genuine as 95,000 miles doesn't seem likely for a bus that was used until 2011 by Louisiana Dept of Education.

The actual mileage is quite irrelevant as busses are designed to go for 500,000 miles before they need repair and the repairs to Alinson transmissions and DT466 engines are inexpensive. The only assumption that can be made is that the fiddle was done to fool car owners. Fiddles are so widespread with mileage that after 10 years, mileage becomes something exempt from records as it's assumed that by then all vehicles will have had their odometers fiddled.

Today's trip was to move yet more of my lady friend's stuff from one house to another. This was performed adequately in the bus. I still hate driving it after dark and hate driving after dark anyway. The transmission made some interesting judders and noises on the way back. I'll have to get my mechanic to have a look at it all. I wouldn't mind betting he'll put the mileage at 300,000 rather than 100,000.


No comments:

Post a Comment